Sport Pilot Training
Posted on October 1, 2020
Training for Sport Pilot (addon or initial) now offered in a Remos GX at KHKY or using an aircraft (including Light Sport seaplanes provided by the student) on a case-by-case basis.
NEW SPORT PILOT CANDIDATES (NOT HOLDING ANY FAA PILOT CERTIFICATE)
- Start ground and/or flight training from a CFI to be a Sport Pilot or through an FAA Approved online ground school
- Obtain student pilot certificate to Solo by applying at https://iacra.faa.gov/iacra/Login.aspx, have a CFI approve it with your drivers license. This goes in to TSA for a security check, then the FAA issues a temporary student pilot certificate with email in about one or two weeks. The green plastic FAA Student Pilot Certificate is mailed to you soon after.
- Obtain medical eligibility by using your drivers license for sport pilot or get an FAA medical if you want to go for private pilot laster on with an FAA Medical Examiner (AME) for a 3rd class FAA medical.
- Have CFI endorse logbook for make/model and provide appropriate logbook limitations to solo.
- Receive endorsement to take knowledge test. (This is typically through Prepware home/self study course or it can be obtained from a CFI.)
- Pass FAA knowledge test (computer based typically known as “written” test) at an FAA approved/certified FAA testing facility such as CATS Testing.
- Meet the knowledge and flight proficiency requirements in 61.309 thru 61.313 from a Sport Pilot CFI. The minimum is 20 hours flight time which is 15 hours of dual instruction and 5 hours of solo. It usually takes substantially more than the minimum to become a qualified and safe pilot. All training logged must be in an N numbered aircraft.
- Receive and log 2 hours dual training for the checkride 60 days before your checkride (practical test) and obtain endorsements for practical test from Sport Pilot CFI on form 8710-11 or through www.IACRA. FAA .GOV. Sport Aviation Center has additional CFI’s for airplane and weight-shift control trike for this endorsement).
- Pass practical test with DPE/SPE. Click here to find a DPE. (Chose from the “Examiner Listing” at bottom of page.)
- Receive FAA Sport Pilot Certificate and logbook endorsement for category/class of aircraft used for practical test (speed endorsement is required and should be obtained before checkride so it does not have to be obtained after checkride).
Be the first to leave a comment